Ever since I was 13 I've wanted to run my own photography business. The Christmas where I got my first camera sparked a passion for photography that I didn't even know could exist. It became more of a necessity than a hobby.
I'm pretty sure the need to "be my own boss" runs in my family. My dad currently owns three businesses, my mom, my sister, and my dad help run each business to keep them thriving. My grandpa also ran his own cabinet making business for many years. So you could say it's in my blood!
One of my favorite videos this week was the one of Kawasaki where he says that if you don't do something that you love that you will end up miserable no matter how much money it makes. He mentioned that he can't promise that lots of money will come but he can promise happiness in work.
When I saw this class on the course catalog I knew it would be a perfect fit for me. I know from watching my parents that it's really tough to run a business. It takes hard work, passion, time, energy, and sacrifice.
On the first page of The Start Up of You it states "All humans are entrepreneurs not because they should start companies but because the will to create is encoded DNA, and creation is the essence of entrepreneurship." Being artistic, I think that everyone has some kind of creativity in them. Some express their creativity through actual art, some through movement, others through writing, and so on. Creation comes in MANY ways.
After reading and watching some videos I've learned that entrepreneurship isn't always about starting your own company. It's about providing, making your own way, taking opportunities, creating, improving and being YOU. There's more that I can learn in this class than just starting a business.
I've learned so much through the years watching my parents work hard building businesses. My dad has been such an inspiration to me because I can see how much heart he puts into what he does. He truly loves what he does. I've seen them succeed and fail. And there is so much to learn through those experiences that I can use in everyday life, not just my career. But they are only one example of inspiring entrepreneurs.
I'm looking forward to learning more about myself, finding opportunities, inspiring myself and others, and finding inspiration in the readings, videos, and my peers as I continue my journey as an entrepreneur.
Word Count: 431
No comments:
Post a Comment