I loved the concept that devoting only 20% of your time to being creative and working toward a dream.
Mayer stated that 50% of Google's new ideas came from when their employees spent 20% of their time creating something they wanted to create.
Honestly, this is genius on Google's part. For one, this would keep me happy in a job if I was allowed at least one day a week to creatively express myself in something I loved. Two, Google obviously hires some amazingly talented people to create things for them. They are genius in giving them the tools and letting them go for it. This really put passion into what they all have created.
If someone sat me down and said "Hey, I trust you and your abilities. So I'm going to give you a great camera, lighting equipment, a computer with all of the necessary Adobe programs, a budget of $100 a month, and a few highly- rated books to learn from. I want you to go create something amazing. If you need anything else, let me know. I only ask that you complete all of your work and only spend one day a week doing this project."
Think of the possibilities! Ideas are already floating around in my mind of what I could do. I'd probably set this day to be Friday so that the whole week I would be motivated to be productive in my work and get the things done that are necessary. It would keep my job exciting and rewarding. I would look forward to that day each week and pour all of my heart into my work.
So what can you accomplish by devoting only 20% of your time to creatively expressing yourself?
Even if you could give yourself only one tool, maybe a camera and one great lens, you could create so much. If you put in 100% effort and passion during 20% of your time there is bound to be great success.
| License to Pursue Dreams |
| License to Pursue Dreams |
No comments:
Post a Comment