Friday, February 20, 2015

Mountains and Valleys

You know that feeling you get when you just climbed a mountain and you are standing there at the highest point breathing in the fresh air and enjoying the view? Isn’t that one of the most rewarding feelings?

The valleys though aren’t as great. They are flat forever and you are just dreading that hill you are going to have to climb in the future.

In The Dip he uses several different metaphors to explain his point about quitters and winners. I love the cover of the book. A little man about to climb this HUGE and STEEP hill. 

Before the mountain comes we don’t know if we will be able to make it. Sometimes we can’t even see the mountain because of obstructions in our way. We could be lost wandering in circles in the valley. In our careers sometimes we feel stuck with no progression towards the top. And sometimes we don’t know where to go or what to do to get out of it. 

But somehow, we take that different turn, or we keep walking and we find the mountain side. 

And then we work our hardest to climb that steep mountain. And we reach the top.

In high school I was a part of the top choir in my school. My senior year we competed in Seattle, Washington. In preparation we worked very hard. And I can’t even count how many times we were in valleys, personally and as a whole group. But when we performed that piece after all of that hard work it wasn’t even like there was an audience and judges. It was a feeling I won’t forget. When we won the huge trophy we were so excited because all of that hard work had paid off.


The Top of the Mountain wouldn’t be worth it if we didn’t have the valleys and obstructions. We wouldn’t get the same feeling if we were just taken to the top by a helicopter. Because we wouldn’t be able to look down at that mountainside and think, “ I climbed that. And now I’m at the top.” And we wouldn’t be able to look at all those other mountains around us and think, “ I climbed this one, so I can climb all of them no matter how many valleys I have to go through.”

No comments:

Post a Comment